Sunday, July 6, 2008

spinal tap and deeper thoughts

my pastor made a reference to spinal tap today.

haha. i love my church.

not just because my pastors have an amazing sense of humor or because they welcome so many people with such open arms,

but because it really challenges me. it calls me out when i am being self-centered, self-righteous, or impatient. it reminds me of what's really important.

I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.

sometimes "the least of these" is someone poor and in need. sometimes it is someone halfway across the world. sometimes it is someone battling an addiction. sometimes it is someone right next door. sometimes it is someone in the cash only lane trying to pay with a check. sometimes it is someone who doesn't speak your language. sometimes it is someone who has really hurt you.

chances are, it is whoever it is that is the hardest for you to love.

[i am beginning to realize i am exactly where i need to be for right now. this is where i am tried and pushed. this is where i am forced to break myself down time and time again and really ask who i am and what i believe.]


nobody said it would be easy. in fact, i don't think it is meant to be.

No comments: